Sunday, May 23, 2010

Going out in Bornova


Cigarette smoke is breathed in my direction with everystep I take.The smell of Raki percolates the air around me and nauseates me slightly. Known as "Lion's Milk," it is not a drink for the weak. I order an Efes and take my seat at my friend's friends' table. He politely introduces me and gives a little background information ie American. Instantly, I'm a hit. His friend's English was rather intelligable and he offered great conversation. He asked me lots of questions and taught me about certain cultural etiquettes and practices of Turkey. But it wasn't until our very animated server learned I was American and from Miami that the fun really began. He wanted to know which American girls would prefer: him or American boys. He was curious as to how I found his appearence "sexy, charismatic or handsome." We took pictures together and he wanted to know if I had some American girlfriends here that might be interested in him. I told him I had none here but would bring him back to America where there would be many that would love him! He was very happy.

I found while out and especially while in the company of my all male friends,Turkish men are very touchy with each other. Its not gay to them but in America it woud be highly misconstrued. It starts with a double kiss, the introduction, peck on each cheek (sort of like the French). Then throughout the visit they are generally seated close to each other. It is not uncommon to see men with their arms around each other or walking with their arms locked. Then, of course, the farewell is another double kiss. It's really beautiful to see that other cultures aren't as homophobic as Americans. And the one seat apart rule does not apply here. People sit next to you and ignore any personal space bubble one might have. As an American, this can be misconstrued as well as rude and obtrusive but merely takes some getting used to...

After a few beers at the bar, we walked next door to another bar but wasreally more like a club with live local music! It was great! Like a combination of Sublime and some schlumy Gainesville band but in Turkish! I had my first Tuborg which tasted similar to Stella so I instantly loved it, but I generally love all cold beers that touch my lips.

The music was hot and the crowd was very into it. Everyone was jumping to the beat and they knew all the words. Except me of course but I still felt the need to mouth them like I did...it was very catchy. I was so thrilled to be out and listening to amazing music at a curiously high volume, that I didn't think twice about the possibility that the diarreah might reoccur. It was at that moment, in the night club with the sweet beats and incredibly hot bass player, that I once again realized how awesome I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment