Monday, May 3, 2010

The Challenge

As an anxiety stricken individual, I find myself missing out, waiting. To be cliche but incredibly accurate...it is life I have missed out on. Up until recently, I didn't really take chances. I lacked courage and so I lacked motivation. So this is the challenge for which I have already begun. I have totally immersed myself in another country for the first time; as foreign to me as they may come. It would have been too easy to be in a spanish speaking country for I already did that..hello? Miami. And while I was only blocks away from third world (Little Havana), I didn't need a passport to get there..Just a metro pass...too easy.

I digress...The Challenge

Phase 1:
Izmir, Turkey: 3 months +
I have to find a job, a house, and operate daily without the ability to speak the native tongue.
I must rely on basic survival instincts...when I am hungry, I eat. When I am tired, I'll sleep. When I am bored, I will download American movies.
Upon completion of Phase 1, assuming I haven't gone completely crazy from panic attacks and stomach ulcers...I will proceed
Phase 2:
Chengdu, China: 4 months (or less)
Again, homeless and unemployed, I must make the new place home and become accustomed to their ways of life...

With this 7-8 month long adventure, I feel my Anxiety Disorder will be cured...with the help of modern pharmaceuticals of course.. I had a little Zoloft/Xanax salad for lunch! As long as I take my courage pills, and everything goes as planned, I will be back in the U.S. with a whole new look and appreciation for life. I will carry with me experience and wisdom. I will officially be cultured! For one can't accomplish culture purely by eating tacos and lo mein and knowing how to say "I don't know" in four languages! Spontaneity creates experiences! And while this chapter in my life will be difficult, I anticipate the reward will be fulfilling and beautiful!


"Life Begins At the End of Your Comfort Zone."

1 comment:

  1. I never knew you had the anxiety stuff like me. We have more in common then I knew! I take Lexapro, which is helping me with the courage thing too. Anyways, I'm so proud of you!! You have to step outside of your box sometimes and face challenges head on. You go girl!! :)

    ReplyDelete