Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Couchsurfing Project

Thanks to my dear friend Julia, I have been opened up to a whole world, literally, of meeting people. Sharing many of my same interests, they are people that are setting out to travel. This networking device is called "Couchsurfing." This site offers you the opportunity to meet hundreds of people from countries all over the world that can either stay with you for a few nights, meet you for drinks or to show you around, you can stay with them, or just attend local events and gatherings. To me, this is genius! As a person traveling alone in a foreign country, it is incredibly beneficial! I have alreadyhung out with some people from Izmir that have introduced me to a few gems I would not have found on my own. I met two ladies from LA that work for CSI: NY. And am currently hosting four people from Poland! And I know, it may sound dangerous, but much like ebay, the other people you have met, stayed with, or hosted, leave feedback on your page. You are free to research them as much as possible and are not obligated by any means to let them stay with you! The way the Couchsurfing people put it "Its like staying with a friend of a friend." Which to me, is better than staying at a hostel (did you see the movie???)

I can't even explain how much this has changed my life! Its as if by some divine intervention that this was created! It has added new meaning and purpose to my mission.
On Saturday, I will go to Ephesus with my couchsurfer from Korea. A bunch of people from Istanbul will be there for skydiving. Skydiving at Ephesus! What else could be more amazing? To understand how genuinely incredible this is please read about Ephesus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephesus

It has even crossed my mind to actually skydive, here of course! And sheerly because its Ephesus...come on, you guys know me..If it wasn't amazing, I wouldn't even think twice about skydiving!! I don't even trust my own shadow, she's sneaky.
So I do not know what is instore today for my couch people and myself but I'm sure it will rock. Yesterday, we went to Cesme (a mission!) and then they cooked dinner for me; it was fabulous!
Tonight is their last night here, so I think we will be going dancing...they love to Salsa! So until then...güle güle!

1 comment:

  1. Please be careful skydiving and know your safety techniques

    ReplyDelete